Monday 23 November 2015

EMBRACE WHO YOU ARE



Hey Fashionistas!

Welcome to African Designers Mall blog. This is my first post on the ADM blog and I am sooooo excited!!!! Apart from the fact that I get to express whatever it is I have on my mind, be it fashion or otherwise, I am excited because I will be meeting new friends on this blog….YOU! So head over to my profile and meet me(well…that’s not all about me, just the basic).
PS: I will be honored to meet you as well.


So, I just had this thought about how society has succeeded in setting standards, rules, expectations on the definition of beauty. So many people have low self esteem issues just because of this and it is quite sad what people go through due to these rules. I hate rules!!!Trust me it really sucks! Don’t dress like this, don’t wear that, oh you are single you shouldn’t wear this, oh you are married you shouldn’t dress like that….blah blah blah blah blah. A lot of us have limited ourselves because of rules and if you fall among this category and you are reading this, please make a decision to embrace who you are, do you and love you!

Love yourself toooo much…be so vain in that!

Who says you can’t be skinny and be a fashionista?(Eku Edewor,Di’ja). Who says you can’t be a plus size and still rock?(Toolz,Latasha Ngwube,Peace Hyde).

I am skinny by the way. I remember how I hated going to the market as a teenager because I would hear shouts of Lepa….At first I didn’t know if that was supposed to be a compliment or an insult…Well I didn’t need anybody to tell me it meant hey you! go grab some doughnuts and get fat. At first, I hated it then later I started loving and embracing it. I am the split image of my mum who after 5 kids is still in shape. So should I go and die because I am skinny?!

I love food! Trust me I really do. I can switch off just because I have not eaten…it’s that bad…ask my friends and colleagues. But guess what, I am so blessed that I can eat anything no matter the time whether its 6am or 12 mid night and still not worry if I will add some pounds and be grateful that my abs are still on fleek.

So my dear, love who you are. You are beautiful in your own way. So now that the rave is big bum, you want to go and die abi? Okay…continue. Don’t worry this too shall pass. The next rave might probably be big head. So chill…

I used to be uncomfortable with my bow legs…I hated wearing skirts so many years back. I remember the first day I wore skirts to work and a colleague was like I should never wear pants again. I gave him a really? sarcastic face. One day, I was watching TV and Christiana Aguilera’s music video was showing. I can’t remember the exact song but I remember that she had this massive bow legs and boy! she was confidently flaunting them…That day I brought out all the skirts in my wardrobe. Infact, I even realized Beyonce had bow legs too!

So my dear fashionista, love the skin you are in. Wear all the clothes you ever dreamed of wearing. Do not stop being stylish. Learn to accentuate your body with the right outfits that suits your body type.

I love fashion, I love the good things of life, I love elegance and my body type has no dictate on the things I love.

See below #peoplewhowearafricandesigners….are they not beautiful in their own way? 

 #ADM

The delectable Eku Edewor slaying in Ilare Clothing


Di'ja the 'Aawwwh' crooner absolutely georgeous in ElegantebyTiannahstyling


Slaying in Bibiredesigns is the sexy OAP Toolz
                                     
                                   
                                           
Bold and Beautiful Latasha Ngwube rocking theFiafactory
                             
Ghanaian TV Presenter Peace Hyde looks stunning in Anutua Creation
 


Meet my Skinny self and bow legs having fun in my Ankara...Lol

8 comments:

  1. This is so refreshing.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach nd...love you girl..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm very nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the extent that we are part of a society, one cannot totally eschew all the subliminal rules or codes of dressing. Number one rule for living in any grouping; society, herd, tribe or flock is living by established rules or codes of behaviour. I think that as much as we have in us the need to express our personal tastes or attitudes using dressing as a medium, we risk going against these unwritten codes. Some would argue that hat's what makes the difference between the normal and the insane. Again, what does the mad person care? The rest of us who obey the rules...are we the happier for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still back to point of doing best what makes you comfortable...i guess your question was answered even by yourself....

      Delete
  5. Sweet!!!! Comfortable in my skin anytime everday

    ReplyDelete
  6. TRUTH! Preach on Nd, ladies should learn to love and feel beautiful in their skin ,irrespective of their body types, variety they say, is the spice of life. #teamslenderandlovingit

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. But..but..but...african men like big bum bum na!!..the skinny women should do some squats jo!hehehe.no excuses.
    Grant

    ReplyDelete