Friday 1 January 2016

2015 IN RETROSPECT BY NWAKWUE EMEKA CHARLES


ADM Blog Reader Emeka Nwakwue shares his 2015 in Retrospect. Enjoy the inspiring read...


Looking back in retrospect, it has been a long journey.Having relocated from Delta State, Sapele to be precise,I moved to Lagos for greener pastures.I left with just a small travel bag after the normal routine prayer from my mother to be successful in my search for a better life.

Lagos, they say, is a land of opportunities, but the truth is that it is not as easy as it sounds as I had to toil the whole nooks and crannies of the city of Lagos searching for a job.I fell victim to some of these fraudulent recruitment firms that specializes in extorting money from prospective job seekers and then start posting you to companies where vacancies never existed.I moved from Ikeja through Ojuelegba down to Lagos Island in search of job on a daily basis.

Meanwhile, I got a teaching job in an extra-mural lesson centre for GCE, WAEC, JAMB classes. I was earning N300(Three hundred naira)  only per hour! translating into N10,000(Ten thousand Naira)only a month, with all the hours of talking and standing.I was also taking some students on private home classes to make additional income to make ends meet.

Later on, I decided to register with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria in 2009, and started from foundation stage. It was not easy as I had to pay for my tuition and examination fees from my meager income. It was worth it as I got my first job with better pay after passing my first stage in the programme. It was an audit firm and I joined the firm as an audit trainee.I was exposed to every area of accounting,tax and consulting.I started because my Bsc Economics Education from my prestigious Delta State University was not getting me my executive dream job.It is said that self development is one of the keys to success, however, we must put God first.

Having worked in the audit firm for three years and with my level of experience in addition to my level 1 ICAN stage, I began changing jobs like clothes and indeed life was better!

As at today, I am a proud Chartered Accountant and work as the group accountant in a Multi million Naira Real estate company in Ikoyi, Lagos State Nigeria. Apart from the routine position in my current job,I have a consulting firm for training,financial advisory/tax advisory,preparation of management accounting/financial statement. My humble self and my partners will be floating an accounting training school in 2016.I am a registered member of the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria and I just concluded an International Certification Diploma in IFRS United Kingdom.

In life, any one can climb to any height, all you need is the determination to succeed. Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot succeed in your dreams because I was told I could not pass ICAN examination. It didn't deter me until I qualified.

If I can,you sure can!

Nwakwue Emeka Charles.

Happiest day of my Life. I am a Chartered Accountant!

Do you have an inspiring story you want to share with us? Send us an email on africandesignersmall@gmail.com. Who knows, you might be encouraging someone. We will not publish your name if you wish.

Be happy.

3 comments:

  1. Permit no fear for when he lifts you up nothing can bring you down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really inspiring. Wish you greater heights in Jesus name. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete